Social networking sites and email chains are pleading support for 30th Jan 2011 rallies organized by “India Against Corruption”. A number of prominent people and religious leaders support the cause and protests may influence the anti corruption bills. Waking up to fight against corruption is a good first step by Indian public. While waiting to see the impact of Anti Corruption rallies in sixty cities of India, common public can take concrete steps to curb corruption:
• Say ‘No’ to agents asking bribe for Driving License. Discard the driving license if obtained using corrupt means and get a new one without paying any bribe.
• Pay traffic violation fine and avoid under the table transaction.
• Set a single price of properties. Make cash (black) and white parts history.
• Stop paying kickbacks for winning government contracts.
• Construct buildings, bridges and roads with appropriate material instead of using that money to bribe for the approval.
• Declare income honestly and pay required taxes.
• Just pay the required fee for birth, death or marriage certificates.
• Use talent and merit to get a job. Let losers use money and/or contacts for jobs.
• Vote for honest and capable candidates.
The list is endless but fundamental principle is the same. Be honest and do not use illegal, unethical or corrupt means. Kill the corruption by NOT becoming part of it. Corruption will cease from our society if all of us follow our ancestor’s core value system i.e. honesty.
What do you think?