Are we humans or animals?
If we are humans we shall try to stop senseless slaughtering of innocent men, women, and children stuck in a civil or military conflict. Killing of innocent people is a black mark on our human civilization.
In our society murdering another human is the most heinous crime. However we still read about this crime every day. While watching graphic images of pain and misery of Arab spring and 9.0 Richter scale Earthquake in Japan, a couple of questions came to my mind:
I hear spring is beautiful with flowers bloom
But why do I vouch sorrow and gloom
I hear days are sunny and bright
But why do I see ghost and no light
I hear nights are fun and charming
But why do I feel pain and suffering
I hear life is full of joy and cheers
But why do I find fear and tears
I hear life is a love stage
But why do I sense anger and rage
I hear man’s intellect and power are limitless
But why do I think man is tormented and helpless
Man may be helpless to tackle the fury of Mother Nature. But man has full control over the wars, civil conflicts and terrorist acts. One would expect reduction in civil conflicts with the technological development, growth and awareness about the world. But consider these numbers and decide if human race has improved.
- 2nd World War, 6 Million Innocent Jews were killed or I would say murdered.
- 1947, 1/2 Million Men, women and children were killed during partition of India.
- 1955-1975, Vietnam War, Estimated 1 to 3 million military and civilian killed.
- 1 Nov 1984, Northern India, Anti Sikh Riot. Systematic killing of 2700 Sikhs.
- 1994 Bosnia : 200,000 people were killed, 12,000 of them children, up to 50,000 women were raped.
- Sep 11, 2001: Terrorist attack America. 3000 Innocent hard working officer goers died.
- 2010/ 2011 Estimated causality in 2010/2011 in Libyan Civil War: 30,000+
Unfortunately there are many more conflicts and it could take hours counting. That is the saddest and cruel reality of today’s world. Whatever be the stated motive, there is only one explanation i.e. insanity.
Do we have a solution? Is military intervention by super powers is solution? Is UN a solution? In most cases, the external intervention is triggered by the events and becomes damage control.
Is democracy a solution? India is a classic example of series of communal riots despite being world’s largest democracy. Terrorists did not spare the USA, the UK and more recently Norway.
How about education? Educated Bosnians and Indians did not hesitate to kill.
I don’t know the solution. May be no one knows the solution. But I do know if we have a choice, we shall choose a leader that actively seeks peace.
What do you think?
4. Vietnam War