Monday, July 5, 2010
World Cup 2010 Tidbits
1. China Daily notes Pele’s prediction as Pele’s curse. In 2002, Pele confidently stated China to move to second round but China lost all three Group C matches conceding nine goals and failed to score a single goal. China finished 31st out of 32. About Pele’s recent predictions, the article reads
“Ironically, Pele also expected Brazil to play an African team in the final. The only African nation remaining in the tournament Ghana went out, a few hours after Brazil’s fall.”
2. China was not qualified but Hotel Hyatt Beijing Welcome card reads
“We are showing the FIFA 2010 World Cup games live in Redmoon located on the lobby level”
3. International Herald Tribune ends an article on German team thrashing Argentina with
“The only surprise was that Merkel did not get into the goal mouth to take her turn as striker.”
4. International Herald Tribune ends an article on surprises in this World cup with
“A prediction? No chance. Surprise is this tournament’s lesson.”
5. My Chinese colleague likes watching World Cup matches in China because
“It is better to watch here. No advertisements”
6. Probably scoring 1000 points at home with every Germal goal, my friend CK comments on Facebook
“And, Argentinians can have a small consolation that they don't have to see Maradona running naked through the streets (as per the bet he made)!”
7. Wikipedia (as pointed by a friend) surprised me with the fact that India qualified in 1950 World Cup because the opponents withdrew from the tournament. India did not send the team to Brazil because of the travel expenses and according to another report, playing barefoot was not permitted.
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
I am not much of a football fan. But, it surely and a lot of excitement in and around
I liked the International Herald Tribune's ending statement. Bonkers!!
It is true that India qualified just once and they withdrew citing a reason that they were not permitted to play barefoot.
Consolation of course is that no one would run naked on the streets, including Lingerie model Larissa had Paraguay lifted the trophy :-)
Thanks for sharing these nice tidbits. Enjoyed reading them.
Thank you A! Sorry to hear India though qualified in 1950 couldn't play due to finance.
thanks for sharing
enjoyed it reading
interesting post... n yea the 7th one is absolutely true :)
thanks freind for compiling those for us :)
wowo now thats some info.. I had no clue india ever qualified, I do wish though a billion strong people can find 16 people to represent the country at least .. if not win..
I hoped argentina would win. :( not happy with the result at all.. whatever happens MARADONA was the best of the best and its cool to see him play when i see old videos.
You been tagged BTW:)
True to the name, it should be played using bare foot! Then there will be less yellow and red cards.
In India, Football sounds like Foodball!
Therefore, game requires to be raised above poverty level.
Tidbits.. thought provoking!
ya..interesting tidbits ya..the last one made me wonder...what's it all about..hehe..
The post is interesting, helped me to increase my GK :P N haan..1 fact Mahindra-Satyam was the only indian company who were the official game sponsors... :)
Post a Comment